Saturday, October 4, 2008

October 10 - Powers of Ten Day, National Metric Week

The week containing the tenth day of the tenth month (October 10) has been declared "National Metric Week".  Many people also celebrate October 10 as "Powers of Ten Day".  How did you celebrate these events in your classrooms?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to say that I did not really "celebrate" these events, but I did try to incorporate them into my classroom. I had my students use centimeters on anything they had to measure this week, and we briefly discussed the powers of 10 on Friday. I had wanted to ask them to do a journal writing on the powers of 10, but we just didn't have time.

davidstriblingjr said...

I did the exact math olympics that we did on Sat. with all of my 7th, 8th, 11th, and 12th graders. We used the science lab to place everything in and both science teachers loved everything so much that they brought their 9th,10th,11th and 12th graders to do the whole smear as well. We held school wide competition and I have the results for gold, silver, and bronze medals for each class period winners, and I also have the gold silver and bronze for the entire school wide event. I am in the market for 36 cheap bronze, 36 silver, and 36 gold medals.... I am still brainstorming how to find cheap ones or make my own with spray paint. :). Any ideas let me know. I have basically pulled the measurment units from 4th and 5th six weeks on c-scope up to now. I will pick and poke the rest of the year as well to get everything in.

It was great, I have lots of pictures to show once we meet again.
David

Mardi said...

We were working on exponents during the week and so it was great timing for me. I used my overhead flat (10 x 10) for talking about ten squared and then made other squares using the overhead tiles. We talked about 10cubed using a base ten cube.

Anonymous said...

I was half way through the day before I remembered. None of my classes were anywhere near doing powers of 10. Now (November), I am working on powers with my 6th graders and we have looked at powers of 10. I think that they are getting it!

Anonymous said...

We didn't actually celebrate or talk about powers of ten per se, but we have spent a lot of time this year talking about patterns with multiplying by multiples of 10, 100, etc. We've also spent time looking at the patterns of division. It has really helped them be able to work faster. I know they've been taught this before, but it has sunk in more lately.