Saturday, November 22, 2008

Benchmark Blues

Hello all,
I just need to vent about my horrible benchmark scores. We took our first benchmark on Tuesday of last week, and I wasn't very happy with the results. I felt really good about my 7th graders this year and thought they would do very well on the benchmark. I only had 57% pass. Last year, I had 69% pass their first benchmark. I know that it is a different group of kids, but Celia had great success with this group last year. I am feeling somewhat guilty about it because I feel like they might have done better if I had been there the 1st 6 weeks. I hope this is not a prelude to how my year is going to end with them. I would like to see at least 85% pass in April, and now I am feeling very discouraged and not sure that this is possible. I'm just bummed right now :-(.

2 comments:

Eileen Faulkenberry said...

I understand! It can be very discouraging when the students don't perform like we think they can and should! You can't beat yourself up about missing the first 6 weeks. You were doing something very important that no one else could do - taking care of that sweet baby! Don't be so hard on yourself. You can still get your students to where they need to be. There is lots of time before April. :)

Anonymous said...

Nicole,
As I'm sure you know by now, my scores weren't good either so you can't blame your scores on being out for the first six weeks! It is just so frustrating when we work like dogs and don't see the results! I know my kids are better at math than their scores showed and as Dr. Faulkenberry said, it's still a long way until April.