Monday, November 3, 2008

Hey guys! Eileen asked me to share something with you that the other 5th grade math teacher at my campus, Kathy, and I came up with while walking out to our cars one afternoon. Our kids have had a hard time keeping prime and composite numbers straight. They think that prime numbers have 3 or more factors and composite numbers have two factors (one and itself). A math teacher's nightmare! We had tried everything! So we came up with the "Partners in Prime." The Partners are appropriately named One and Itself. The Partners in Prime came for a visit last Friday and talked to the kids about prime numbers. Each of our kids is assigned a number at the beginning of the year, so we talked about which kids would be allowed into the exclusive Club Prime (only those with prime numbers) and which kids would not be able to get in. The other kids did get to go to Club Composite. It was a shame that I had to step out of the room and miss the Partners in Prime, but my kids told me all about it when I came back from "helping" the other math teacher. :)




The Partners in Prime!
Partners in Prime are allowed to stand
on chairs (with no shoes on, of course!)







3 comments:

Eileen Faulkenberry said...

Thanks for sharing! Great idea!

Eileen Faulkenberry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melanie Fields said...

Hey girl, I shared this with my mentor last night... she and I will be doing this for review after the first of the year. I love it.. Thanks again for the scavenger hunt idea... using it tomorrow.